What should I do if the driver who caused the accident leaves the scene or has no insurance?

Although it is illegal in Texas for motorists to leave the scene of an accident or to drive without liability insurance, it happens every day. If you find yourself injured in an accident caused by such a driver, you may still be able to file a claim for compensation under your own insurance policy’s uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage (UM/UIM).

In the case of a hit-and-run accident, you will generally be covered only if there was actual contact between your vehicle and the hit-and-run driver’s vehicle. Most insurance companies will require a police report for a hit-and-run-accident before UM coverage is available.