Dallas Car Accident FAQ

Dallas Car accidents are an unfortunate fact of life that can happen to the even most cautious drivers. Minor traffic crashes can create stressful complications, and serious injury accidents can turn your life upside down.

Ask the Dallas Car Accident Attorneys

At Kraft & Associates, P.C., our seasoned car accident lawyers have handled thousands of automobile collision cases over the years. Our team of attorneys has recovered millions of dollars in settlements and verdicts for injured people in North Texas over our decades in practice. We represent victims in car accident cases, as well as families who have lost loved ones in crashes.

Below are answers to some frequently asked questions about car accidents. To get specific answers to your individual questions, contact us now for a free consultation.

Car Accident

How common are car accidents in Texas?

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that 32,719 people died and 2.31 million people were injured in motor vehicle traffic crashes in the U.S. in a single recent year. Among passenger vehicle occupants, 21,132 were killed and 2,046,000 were injured.

In Texas alone, the Department of Transportation (DOT) reports a death toll of 3,377 in one recent year. Additionally, 89,270 people were seriously injured in 65,639 serious injury crashes in Texas. The DOT reports that:

  • A car accident occurs in Texas every 71 seconds.
  • Someone is killed in a Texas car crash every 2 hours and 36 minutes.
  • Someone is injured in a car accident every 2 minutes and 16 seconds in Texas.

What are the most common causes of car accidents?

Many factors can contribute to car accidents, and they often involve some type of driver negligence. Some common causes of crashes include the following:

  • Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
  • Distracted driving, including texting or talking on cell phones.
  • Aggressive driving or speeding.
  • Drowsy driving.
  • Driver negligence or carelessness.
  • Hazardous road conditions.

What should I do if I am involved in a car accident in Texas?

If you have been seriously hurt in an accident, call 911. Even if your injuries do not seem serious at first, you should still see a doctor for a full medical exam to rule out internal injuries or other problems that are not immediately apparent.

If you do not require emergency medical services, take the following steps after a collision:

  • Call the police.
  • Get information from the other drivers, including names, phone numbers, addresses, license numbers and insurance information.
  • Take pictures of all vehicles involved in the collision.
  • Take pictures of the accident scene.
  • Get names and contact information for any eyewitnesses.
  • When the police arrive, get the name of the officer filing the report and the report number.
  • Consult with an experienced personal injury attorney before you talk to an insurance adjuster or sign any documents.

Will I have to go to court to get compensation for my injuries?

In most cases, car accident claims are settled with the at-fault driver’s insurance company before trial or even before a lawsuit is filed. However, insurance companies are in business and primarily concerned with the company’s bottom line. If an insurance company offers you a quick settlement, it is in your best interest to first consult with an experienced car accident lawyer.

Our firm is familiar with the tactics insurance companies employ to get injured parties to settle quickly for less compensation than they deserve. We have handled thousands of accident cases and recovered millions in settlements and verdicts for our clients. While we try to negotiate a fair settlement before filing a lawsuit, we will not hesitate to go to trial if necessary to stand up for your rights.

What should I do if the driver who caused the accident leaves the scene or has no insurance?

Although it is illegal in Texas for motorists to leave the scene of an accident or to drive without liability insurance, it happens every day. If you find yourself injured in an accident caused by such a driver, you may still be able to file a claim for compensation under your own insurance policy’s uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage (UM/UIM).

In the case of a hit-and-run accident, you will generally be covered only if there was actual contact between your vehicle and the hit-and-run driver’s vehicle. Most insurance companies will require a police report for a hit-and-run-accident before UM coverage is available.

How much can I recover in compensation for my injuries?

Every car accident case is different. You should consult with a personal injury lawyer to get an idea of how much your claim might be worth. Generally, the more serious and long-lasting your injuries are, the more compensation you may be entitled to recover. If someone else is at fault for your injuries, you may be able to claim medical expenses, lost wages, pain, and suffering, and other losses.

How soon after a car accident do I need to see an attorney to file a claim for compensation?

It is best to consult with a knowledgeable personal injury attorney as soon as you can after an accident. You will need sound legal advice before you talk to insurance adjusters or sign any documents. It is best if your lawyer can begin an investigation into your accident while evidence is still available and while the incident is still fresh in the minds of eyewitnesses.

The law also imposes a time limit known as a statute of limitations on filing personal injury claims in Texas. Kraft & Associates, P.C., offers a free case evaluation with no obligation. Contact us to ensure that your legal rights are protected.